Categories

Additional

Website Language

Active date

French Open under threat of being cancelled as Roger Federer dream hangs by a thread

Roger Federer of Switzerland reacts during his quarter final loss to Nikoloz Basilashvili of Georgia in the Qatar ExxonMobil Open at Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex on March 11, 2021 in Doha, Qatar. (Photo by Mohamed Farag/Getty Images)

Image source: Mohamed Farag/Getty Images


France President Emmanuel Macron has put the country into a third national lockdown which could have serious consequences for this summer’s French Open. Tougher restrictions will be implemented from Saturday following a recent increase in Covid cases France tennis chief Gilles Moretton is hoping the clay Grand Slam will go ahead as planned but there are fears of major disruption. Last year the French Open moved from May to September because of the initial coronavirus outbreak.

“At the moment, we are on track, the tournament is on the scheduled dates,” Moretton said. “But if we are told to lockdown for two months, we will have to take the necessary measures, the worst being the outright cancellation, but I dare not imagine that.”

France’s infection rates are seven times higher than the UK and there has been no end date given for the lockdown.

The news leaves Roger Federer’s dream hanging by a threat as the 39-year-old may not get many more chances to try and beat Rafael Nadal on clay. Federer had a three-year absence from the French Open and when he returned in 2019 he explained that his dream was to beat Nadal on the red dirt.


Source: Express/ *Join us on Telegram!/ Follow us on Twitter!


Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal setting trend to oppose Novak Djokovic PTPA